Maggie

Maggie
The Aspiring Profi Frau

Send me pictures of your projects

I would love to post pictures of your projects and the clever things you do. Send me an email with a picture attached and maybe a little bit of background about your project.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Peanut Butter and Chocolate- a match made in heaven


Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats (by Todd Wilbur)
1 Tbsp. Margarine
2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter
1/8 tsp. salt
5 C. miniature marshmallows
1/2 tsp.vanilla
6 C. Rice Krispies Cereal
1- 12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips
non-stick cooking spray

1. Combine margarine, peanut butter and salt in a large saucepan over low heat. (I'll say right now that clean-up is 10 times easier if you do this all in the microwave instead).
2. When peanut butter and margarine have melted, remove from heat. Add the marshmallows and microwave again (for about a minute or until the marshmallows are melty and puffy).
3. Add Rice Krispies adn stir until cereal is well coated with the melted marshmallow mixture.
4. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray. Pour the Rice Krispies mixture int the dish and, using wax paper or lightly greased hands, press down until it's flat in the dish. Cool
5. Prepare the topping by pouring the chocolate chips into a glass dish. Microwave for 2 minutes on 50% power. Stir Gently. Microwave for an additional minute on 50 % power Stir gently once more until smooth. If the mixture hasn't completely melted, zap it again for another 30 seconds.
6. Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of chocolate over the top of the Rice Krispies mixture. Cool at room temp. (at least 72 degrees), or chill until firm. Slice into 16 bars.

Can you believe that in the 7 years I've lived away from home I have never once made Rice Krispy Treats. I was a little nervous, but they turned out pretty good. My few mistakes- #1) Substituting semi-sweet chips for milk chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet in cookies but in this recipe they were too strong). #2) I got so anxious to mix the Rice Krispies into the marshmallow mixture that I forgot to add my two extra cups of Rice Krispies in. (hence, the smaller dish I ended up pressing my treats into so they wouldn't be paper thin). By the way, this dish I used is Polish Pottery. I first fell in love with polish pottery in Germnay. They make the cutest designs.

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

I'm excited to make these. I just noticed that you never mention melting the marshmallows. Do you put them in the peanut butter mixture? You should probably also give the microwave directions. I am proud of you Maggie! You are a good profi frau. Love you. Momiqyrh